Thursday, July 26, 2007, posted by Q6 at 12:47 AM
After almost two months of agonizing over it, I finally sent in my registration for my 20th high school reunion. My fiancee is coming with me, though I know the night won't mean as much to her as it will to me. (Actually, it will mean as much to her if only a few of my old friends show up.) I only know of a few of my old friends who are going, one who is not, and the rest are question marks. Naturally, most of the ones I'd most like to see are the question marks, mainly because none of us has kept in touch over the years. I'm most looking forward to seeing that core few that I grew up with, from elementary school all the way to graduation. (There are two that I'm not particularly looking forward to seeing, unless, of course, they've come to the same realization that I have: boyfirend/girlfriend relationships in high school are frought with peril, since neither side really knows what its doing. Same might go for my first two marriages, actually; only now, as my third wedding approaches, do I realize what goes into a successful relationship.) This event is a little daunting for me for another reason: I remember most everything. As I've posted before, I have whtever the opposite of Alzheimer's is. Having all those memories wash back over me, as they have the last few days, reminds me that although I knew a lot of people, and was liked, I was not "well-liked" (with a nod to Arthur Miller), and I don't know if that will still hold true after this many years. If I have a chance to start all over again at this reunion, I hope I do it right. In the end, I guess, the key is to be myself--honestly, just myself. It's been working for me so far.

The event is to be held August 11th at the hotel that was the venue for our senior prom.

God--what will I wear?