Monday, November 13, 2006, posted by Q6 at 8:00 PM
I can only imagine what's going through my girlfriend's mind when it comes to the subject of children. She wants to have kids--or did, until this weekend. I am divorced, with two kids (boy, age 14; girl, age 12). The boy lives with me full time, the girl with her mother 250 miles away. Both have grown used to seeing each other infrequently, which is both a shame AND for the best; when they are together, like this last weekend, it's . . . well, it's exhausting.

So over the three day weekend we went to dinner with my mother, went to the movies, went to a play, and through all of it spent a lot of time in the car, or walking around, or sitting with each other. In short, we spent a lot of time together. At one point, my girlfriend turned to me and asked, "How did you do this when they were growing up?" I went into a short monologue on the value of television and Disney's Sing-Along-Song video library. Now that they're teenagers it's more brooding and drama than it is noises and broken things, but the exhaustion factor is more or less the same.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE MY CHILDREN. And if they were to both live under my roof together once more, I would welcome it. But you two can really be tiring when you're both on full power all weekend long, y'know? :) Not bad tiring, not good tiring . . . just "I need a nap" tiring.

All in all, I'm sure my girlfriend would still like to have kids one day . . . okay, maybe a kid. On a related note: just a quick shout-out to all our parents . . . we love you, and we're sorry for putting you through all that. Really.
 
2 Comments:


At 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

A.

We'll see what comes.

 

At 5:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

I me and my bro can be pains but that is one of the consequenses of being our dad! ;)