Saturday, October 07, 2006, posted by Q6 at 9:07 AM
When I was in high school, I was on the Speech Team. We went to tournaments about once a month, which meant meeting at school on Saturday morning, riding in student cars, and being gone all day (sometimes up to two hours away). It was fun; I was a part of a school team. We didn't have uniforms or large crowds or rallies or anything, but it felt good to be on a team, in a program . . . I felt like a part of the crowd.

This morning, I dropped my son off at his school. He's now with the "Comedy Sportz League," an improv team connected to the drama department. They have an event today at Upland High School, about 90 minutes away. He was a little nervous (the first event), and given that he's one of a handful of freshman on a team of upperclassmen, I really don't blame him. He's been looking forward to it, though, and so I dropped him off.

And since I left the school this morning, I've felt that this is one of the hardest things I've had to do. I didn't want to go into "over-protective" mode (I mean, I made sure he had enough cash, his insurance card, that his cell phone was charged), but it wasn't easy to realize that my son is developing a life of his own. We all hear people say how hard it is to let their kids go when they leave for college, move out, or get married. I didn't realize that there's a "mini" version of this when they go off to certain school events. The up side of all of this, I suppose, is that my son is growing up and coming into his own.

The down side, of course, is that my little boy is growing up and coming into his own.
 
2 Comments:


At 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

Yeah, he is. But he's still very much yours. And you know you've done a good job when he has the wherewithal to do this, have fun, and find himself. That's what you've been working toward, hasn't it?

So, probably, yes. This is how your mom felt.

 

At 9:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

Yeah but if you feel how your mom feels that must mean you are doing a good job.