Wednesday, September 13, 2006, posted by Q6 at 8:51 PM
September--this is the beginning of a new year. When I was a kid, my mom had a cross-stitched calendar up on the wall. She made it herself; quite the crafty woman, my mom. It had velcro-backed pieces so that they could be moved each month. Each month had it's own round shape, and the unused months decorated the frame in a U-shape: with January in the upper left, the months moved down to May, June through August went left to right across the bottom, and September through December crawled up the right-hand side. The center of the calendar had the actual numbers for the month (I never really looked at those).

Since my entire life has been dictated by a traditional school calendar--as a student, teacher, or administrator-- I always knew what day it was from the board in the classroom (even these days, teachers still put the date up on the board). For the same reason, September always seemed to be the beginning of the year (it's the same for Jews--Rosh Hashana is next week). So I've been walking around for the last two weeks as if it's the beginning of a new year for everyone, invigorating, full of promise, and a time to set goals.

So, Happy New Year, everyone.