Thursday, June 01, 2006, posted by Q6 at 6:09 PM
My fourteen year old son has a girlfriend. It was going to happen eventually, and it comes with its plusses and minuses. Plus: she seems like a nice girl--she was very nice to my girlfriend and me when we net her. Minus: my son spends a lot of time with her after school, and his other friends are having a reaction. Plus: he's being very open about it, telling me the things I need to know the first time I ask (in some cases, he volunteers). Minus: he spends a lot of time text messaging, but she's doing it on AIM . . . so it runs up his message count but not hers (Update, July 15--that cost me some money, and set new limits on how he communicates with her). Plus: getting him to do his homework is a little easier, as she encourages it. Minus: her parents don't know about him, as she's not supposed to be seeing anyone. This last one is a problem for a couple of reasons: if push comes to shove, I won't be dishonest and cover for them; he's not hiding anything from me, but that could change if he feels heat from the other side; finally, this could backfire on them both, and he could suffer a bit of heartache. For now, though, it all seems pretty innocuous, and as long as I keep an eye on my end and maintain his trust, all should be fine going into the new school year.

At least she's encouraging him to do his homework.