Monday, March 20, 2006, posted by Q6 at 10:24 PM
Each of us, at some point in childhood, has pledged to right a wrong. No person has ever traversed the line between childhood and parenthood without uttering a statement that begins, "When I'm a parent . . . " It's something that is ingrained in the human psyche. That's not to say that my parents committed some horrible offense that deserved eternal punishment, it's just that each of us wants to do for our children something that we wish we had way back when.

For my son, it's the peanut butter and jelly sandwich. The ratio of peanut butter to jelly had always been an issue for me, and the lack of sufficient jelly on my sandwich finally led me to that fateful day when I switched completely to turkey and cheese. Each day, as I make my son's lunch, I first apply the peanut butter, then the jelly. As I apply the mountain of Concord Grape on the other slice of bread, I think to myself, "I never had this much, but my son will ALWAYS have this much."

People say that it's the little things in life that make it worthwhile. I don't care how expensive jelly gets--there will always be a lot of jelly.