Tuesday, December 20, 2005, posted by Q6 at 4:25 PM
As November came to an end, I found that my son was behind in several assignments in his Humanities class (which is really nothing more than a two-period class combining English and History--a concept I'm not fond of, for to do two things at once is to do neither). In an attempt to be the active parent I've always wished to be, I contacted the teacher, met with him (and my son), and spent the next few days being the inquisitive taskmaster ("Did you do this?" "Did you do that?"), all the while double-checking with the teacher. And in less than a month--almost immediately, in fact--the problem went away. His assignments were being completed on or ahead of time, his grades went back up, and I stopped having to ask within two weeks of making my presence known. He even made "Student of the Trimester" and the Assistant Principal's Honor Roll. Now I only ask once in a while. Did MY parents know this trick all along? Have I stumbled behind the curtain and exposed one of the wizard's secrets? It seems that the appearance of surveillance can be just as effective as the real thing.

Not that I'm gonna ignore him now, or anything.