Wednesday, November 09, 2005, posted by Q6 at 10:22 PM
D.H. Lawrence wrote this story, which tells of a young boy who picks horse-race winners by riding his rocking horse really hard. He's motivated by a mother who constantly tells him that they are unlucky, and by a house which constantly whispers, "There must be more money . . . There must be more money."

I've been in some level of debt for about seventeen years. Bankruptcy solved most of my problems some time ago, and although my debt "problem" is nowhere near that desperate again, I find myself doing each month's books with a bit of dread. I'm not behind on anything, but there's still a lot not to be behind on. A second job (infrequent, but profitable) helps with the bigger bills, but with monthly interest on credit cards and the inability to plan a food budget, I never seem to make much headway. There must be more money.

Larger incidental expensesthat come up--lawyer fees on my divorce, home repair expenses (I do the repairs myself, but the materials get expensive), and other "one-time-only-but-by-no-means-small" expenditures--don't help the situation. There must be more money. Now the holiday season fast approaches, although I've been working on a plan to keep my costs down. My son, who announced only days ago that he would like an iPOD for Christmas/Hanukkah, is unaware of the financial perspective; but that's as it should be. For now, I've decided that if I can keep it together through the end of the year then I will redouble my efforts in 2006 to eliminate as much of my debt as possible.

In the end of Lawrence's story, the Rocking-Horse Winner literally rides himself to death trying to silence the whispering house. Let's hope it doesn't come anywhere close to that.