Tuesday, January 27, 2009, posted by Q6 at 5:11 AM
So I spend a lot of time on Facebook. Yes, I know, social networking over the Internet can become an addiction. I'll own up to it: I'm somewhat addicted. Once upon a time I would stop at my computer several times a day, quickly checking my personal e-mail and my work e-mail. My work e-mail has been nudged off the list by my Facebook page.

The thing is, Facebook has given me an opportunity to not only communicate with people I currently know, but also with people I haven't spoken to in ages. It's really easy to find all your old high school friends (it's viral, actually: find one, and he or she is connected to three others, who are also connected to a few, . . . ). The best part is this: constant communication isn't necessary. Each person posts something here and there, and I just check the postings. It's like a big, personalized news feed. And I'm addicted.

I think the best part of the Facebook format (I barely check my MySpace anymore) is that, like high school, it's nice just to know that those people are there. I don't need to send e-mail after e-mail to each one of them. On occasion, the contact will be more personal and I get to catch up with my old friends. We've aged, and our lives have changed, and I'm sure that there are people whom I once knew who won't speak to me anymore, but it's nice to be the "now" me with my "then" friends and my "now" friends.

So, y'know, it's not a bad addiction.