Monday, July 14, 2008, posted by Q6 at 8:50 AM
I have this little map off to the right of my blog--it indicates where my blog readers are. (I decided to use ClustrMaps. Another popular one is MapLoco, which has the added benefit of listing the specific locations; it resets daily, though. My ClustrMap is cumulative, so after a while it will look like certain continents have the plague.)

The red dots on the map get bigger with the number of visits; I understand that. Each dot represents a geographical area, not a person; I understand that, too. Here's what I don't get: how did I get such a following in the midwest? On both my personal and my professional blog, I have this big, honkin' red dot in the middle of the U.S. Weird. Cool, but weird.

Hello, Midwestern United States!

UPDATE: If you check the comment on this post, you'll discover two things. The first is that I don't actually have a fan base in the midwest; the default location for the map program is the middle of the country. The second is that the ClustrMaps people are obviously paying attention to the blogs using their program. Thanks to CJ for clearing up the confusion in record time.
 
1 Comments:


At 12:07 AM, Blogger ClustrMaps Team

Hi... thanks for choosing ClustrMaps over the others... when a big dot appears in the very middle of a country it usually means that the IP-location service has no further details, e.g. it only knows "USA" for certain hits, so picks the absolute central location of that particular country.

We'll aim to make this clearer in our notes in the future, and/or choose a different color.

Thanks again...

-CJ on behalf of the ClustrMaps Team