Monday, May 05, 2008, posted by Q6 at 10:24 PM
Fixing a flat bicycle tire is easy. I did it last night, and it took me longer to find a gas station with a working air pump than it did to actually change the inner tube. Picking up the new inner tube at the bike shop was the tough part.

The REALLY tough part.

My son uses what we call "my" bike to go to school each day. One day, his was broken, and in a pinch I let him use mine--and he's used it ever since. I don't really get to ride it much anymore; not because he's used it, but my schedule doesn't allow for it. I've wanted to let him have this bike and get a new one, but I haven't really done any looking around, shopping research, or anything like that. While I was at the bike shop getting the inner tube, I had a quick look around. There were some nice bikes--and decently priced, as bikes go, but still on the expensive side for me. (I did make the mistake of quickly testing the repaired tire out in the street, and it made me want a new one even more. In my youth, I rode my bike a lot. It did wonders for my health and leg muscles, but it also did a lot for my peace of mind. Sixty to one hundred miles a week can do that.)

But I've got a house to fix up, a wedding coming up, a kid who's about to start driving soon, and a car that's beginning to show signs of serious wear.

A new bike can wait.