Tuesday, February 26, 2008, posted by Q6 at 8:14 PM
My fiancee and I spent some time today with the wedding invitation person, and after dancing around cost issues and such, we finally decided upon something that wasn't as expensive as it could have been, was a little more expensive than we wanted it to be, and was exactly what we wanted.

At one point, we were looking over samples looking for a graphic to offset the type. (There are a LOT of leaves, seashells, and flowers in there.) Being a minimalist, I was looking for a simple, nondescript shape--something like the airholes in a violin. (I had actually created a little logo for all my handouts back when I was teaching. It never caught on, but I liked the idea of a "corporate logo" on my work.) Later in the evening, I thought of something really cool from an 80s movie that might have worked.

Something I noticed about John Hughes films (back in the greatest decade that ever was) was in the marketing campaigns--specifically, the movie posters. I don't know if Hughes himself had anything to do with it, but three of his movies--three of my favorites--had little stylized logos. "The Breakfast Club", for example:

"TBC," for the title of the movie. What its meaning or purpose is I don't know; it didn;t appear in the movie's titles or anything. It was just a symbol, a "movie rune," if you will. There's one on the poster for "Ferris Bueller's Day Off", as well:
(The logo in the corner is, again, the acronym for the title.) I wish that one was more clear, but you get the idea. I can't seem to find a hi-res photo of the movie poster for "Some Kind of Wonderful" anywhere, but if you ever come across one look here:
The acronym logo again. Like I said, it's just a little symbolic accent. And it's just such an accent that made me think of John Hughes movies while I was looking for a graphic for the wedding invitations. One other Hughes film* had one, this time much more prominent in the poster:

Man, Woman, Birth, Death, Infinity. (But the little swirl we chose for the invitations looks good, too.)


* This symbolic line is from the ad campaign for "She's Having A Baby"--my fiancee isn't, so don't read anything into it.
 
1 Comments:


At 6:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

I ususally have to be awake longer to learn my new fact of the day. Cool.

What would you choose for us? A heart, a lettuce head, and a bed? Infinity and books? Tee hee.

Technically, they're not acronyms; acronyms spell something. Maybe monograms, or glyphs?