Monday, February 04, 2008, posted by Q6 at 10:08 PM
In my life, the "things" usually only break for me. My iPod crashed during a software upload, and I couldn't get it started again. ("Hold down the Select and Menu buttons at the same time," various websites said. Nothing.) So my son and I go to the "Genius Bar" at the Apple Store, and while we're waiting for the next available PhD in Music Player Mechanics, we see various things on the plasma screens on the wall, including the Select/Menu button trick. My son asked me if I'd tried that, and I explained that it didn't do anything for me. "See?" I asked, and demonstrated by holding down the two buttons.

At which point, naturally, Percy wakes up.

I explained everything to the Genius (a very cool guy named Steve), and he explained that software hiccups aren't unusual, but aren't frequent or fatal. He went ahead and restored the iPod anyway, just to be safe. I took it home, synced it to my iTunes, and all is right with the world.*

*There is still something of a little glitch--when the iPod goes unplayed for five minutes it emits this terrible (but not terribly loud) white noise. I'm not going to make a big deal of it, since it's really not that big of a deal.