Sunday, December 16, 2007, posted by Q6 at 10:40 PM
Among the many weird things that happen to me, looking at the clock is often one of them. No matter where I am, or what I'm doing, I always seem to look at a digital clock when the time is exactly 10:40. It doesn't matter if it's AM or PM--I'll manage to look, see it, and feel a sense of remembrance and, at the same time, a cold shiver. 10:40 seems to haunt me (not in an entirely bad way). Think about it for a moment: what forces in the universe have to be working to get me, several times a week, to see that particular minute? It only happens twice a day, it only happens fourteen times a week--and I manage to catch about half of that.

When my father died (25 years ago today), I was only thirteen years old. I was bitter about it--the reasons aren't important--and it took me years to finally accept the situation for what it was and move on. He had been ill for about two years, and he spent roughly eight months at UCLA Medical Center. The last thing he said (well, spelled out) to me was "I am very proud of you." Although I didn't realize at the time that these were his final words to me, I have recalled them often. I can remember with great clarity the period of his illness as well as the years prior. I can remember UCLA Medical Center and its layout (at the time) in great detail, and I can close my eyes and picture his hospital room. His room number?

1040. Weird.
 
2 Comments:


At 5:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

I think you notice now it because you're looking for it. It's a way to honor and remember your Dad several times a week without having to get meditative and sad (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Once again, I wish I could have met him.

 

At 10:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

I so wish I couldve met him. I can see why he would be proud! :)