Monday, January 07, 2008, posted by Q6 at 8:49 PM
If the movie's based on a book, and I like the movie, chances are I'll read the book. Such was the case with I Am Legend, Richard Matheson's novel about a lone survivor of a plague that turns everyone else into vampires. I don't know if the recent film, starring Will Smith, has made the novel popular again, but I was surprised to learn the other things the author's written. That "Twilight Zone" episode where William Shatner freaks out on the plane? He wrote that. Spielberg's first movie, "Duel"? That's his. The "Star Trek" episode where Kirk gets split into good and evil halves? Matheson. "Jaws 3D", too. The list goes on an on. He's a major influence in horror and sci-fi writing, it turns out. So I'm reading the book.

And I'm completely freaked out for reasons OTHER than vampires.

The film, if you've seen it, is about an army doctor who survives this big plague and is alone in a now-desolate New York City, trying to find a cure for a virus he helped create. The book, however, is about some ordinary schmo who is trying to figure out the virus (if it even is one) while trying to survive from the attacks of his now-undead friends and neighbors. And the book, unlike the movie, doesn't take place in New York City.

This book takes place in my hometown.

I grew up in Gardena, California, a little-known, drive-through-it-in-five-minutes suburb of Los Angeles. The house that the main character lives in is half a mile from the house I grew up in (and where my mother still lives). Growing up, I had two friends who lived on that very street. Matheson refers to streets and neighborhoods I'm familiar with, which helps me connect with the book even more.

And I LOVE connecting to books.
 
1 Comments:


At 3:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

Seriously? Thats crazy! you should tell your mom about that. Next time you call her.