Wednesday, December 19, 2007, posted by Q6 at 10:58 PM
My son had a video project due for his weightlifting class today.* His group didn't really put it off, but they had some technical problems that could have easily been avoided (dead camera batteries, bad scheduling timing--that kind of thing). Long story short, the three of them were filming in my garage at 6:30 this morning, one full hour before the project was due. (They even had a groupie looking on--the girl my son once had an interest in some time ago--remember her? She showed up and was just hanging around, watching.) By 7:00 my son was at his computer, downloading clips and cutting the movie together. Thank God he spent part of last night getting the sound clips and most of the title graphics done. He started burning at 7:20, and fifteen minutes later we were in the car. He was 20 minutes late to school; I was 45 minutes late to work, the project got turned in, and it wasn't half bad (pretty good, actually, for a kid who's only been tooling around with Windows Moviemaker for a week or so.

I didn't get on his case about it--we've all been there, I guess. As long as he doesn't make a habit of this sort of thing (and perhaps learns how to avoid certain such problems in the future), I don't see the need to browbeat him. In fact, he handled the pressure pretty well, all things considered.

*Although I work in education, and like the idea of a video project, the concept baffles me. Sure, we live in a technological society, but not all households have video cameras or video editing savvy, so making a video project a requirement seems a little cruel to me, in a way. Making a video project a requirement in a weightlifting class, that's a whole other bucket of weird.
 
1 Comments:


At 11:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

it wasnt my fault!!!!