Monday, December 31, 2007, posted by Q6 at 3:25 PM
My kids receive several holiday presents from me each year, and in the tradition of my family the last present is always a big finale. This year, however, the "finale gift" for my daughter had to come first (scheduling required that, this year), and only a few hours after she got off the plane. She's read the book, Wicked, and fell in love with the hoopla that surrounds it, the music, even the color scheme. But no daughter of mine was going to have a thing for it without seeing the musical itself, so we got back from the airport, changed clothes, and headed to the Pantages Theater in Hollywood.

This was her first trip to a musical, or a large stage production of any sort. That, in and of itself, was special for me (and, hopefully, for her). I've become quite a fan of going to musicals and plays in the last few years, and my hope is to include my kids in some of these excursions (but not all of them--I don't want to pierce the bubble of magic such outings have become for my fiancee and me). It's my duty, I'm sure, to pass on a love of the arts to my children. In fact, I made a point of taking my daughter to the front of the theater before the show started to give her a close-up look at the stage, the set, and the orchestra booth. (In an age where so much is technology-driven, I wanted her to see that the music is, in fact, played live at these events.)

She had a wonderful time--we both did, and in retrospect I believe that part of this gift was the time we spent together. Again, something I'd like to do more. As the kids get older, there are more and more things that we can do together as adults, and I'm very much looking forward to that.
 
1 Comments:


At 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

Hands down, best present ever. I love you!