Thursday, June 26, 2008, posted by Q6 at 5:17 AM
I meant to post about this right after I got back on Sunday, but I've been riding on such a high I never got around to it. Sorry.


My Vegas trip was a BLAST! I had so much fun that . . . well . . . I suspect my "fun" meter has been recalibrated. After years of taking my kids back and forth to the airport (trips to and from their mom's house) I finally got to get on a plane! The wedding was very cool, though the MGM Grand has a very strict schedule, apparently, so it felt a little rushed. With most of the down time, we went back and forth between the MGM Grand and New York, New York (which, I think, is where I'd like to stay the next time we go there). The gambling was OK: I pulled $100 on a slot machine, which made up for most of what I lost at Blackjack, and I learned how to play Pai Gow Poker. Before, it seemed really complicated--it still seems complicated, but I like my buddy's take on the game: you're playing for the push, and the object of the game, according to his wisdom, is to lose at an infinitesimally slow rate while drinking for free. For him, it worked; for his wife, who turned $25 into just under $400 in about 90 minutes, it didn't; for me, the action was fast and not in my favor. (After getting home, I found an online version of Pai Gow Poker; each time I play, it takes me almost no time at all to lose $300, so, . . . not my game.) Friday night we went over to Mandalay Bay and hung out in a club called "Eye Candy" (oddly named, for there was little). We drank, we danced, and a good time was had by all.

I haven't had a whole lot of friends as an adult. I've had colleagues, who have also been friends, but they're all teachers and the "boss" thing occasionally gets in the way. Now that I'm being transferred to another school site, they're now my friends--and it was really cool to hang out with friends. It'll take some getting used to, but it's a challenge I'm looking forward to.


I was speaking to one of the teachers who went on the trip (she and I really get along--we have a secret handshake and everything), and she not only told me about the cool stuff I missed Sunday night (most of them stayed until Monday, dammit), but she agreed with me that we should make an annual event of this. Seriously--what could be more cool than to spend the first weekend of every summer vacation in Vegas?


And with friends!
 
1 Comments:


At 10:09 AM, Blogger Maestro

Speaking of which, dude....

Movies I'm not likely to see with my spouse: Hellboy II, Hancock, Wanted.

Any interest? (Hellboy for sure, right?)

See you guys tomorrow ;-)