Tuesday, June 24, 2008, posted by Q6 at 5:15 AM
We don't think of "philosopher" as a contemporary profession, but contemporary society does have philosophers--and we just lost a great one.

"When someone is impatient and says,
'I haven't got all day,' I always wonder,
How can that be? How can you not have all day?"

Long ago, I had George Carlin's "A Place for My Stuff" album (on cassette) and damn near wore the thing out. I was only, like, twelve at the time, but I loved Carlin's work from that moment on--as many did--and made a point of listening to and watching as much of his work as possible. Alas, my collection of Carlin--which was by no means comprehensive or complete--has fallen into obscurity, but my love for his work has not abated at all.

"I have as much authority as the Pope, I just
don't have as many people who believe it."

Carlin crossed over from "comedian" to "philosopher" early on in his career, and he influenced a lot of other comedians. What made his appeal so great and so funny? There's a statement someone once made about magicians: good magicians do tricks on stage; great magicians do the same tricks six inches from your face. I think the Carlin's appeal worked the same way: he didn't just tell jokes, he merely described things that we all do to demonstrate just how idiotic we all look.

"Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong."

Although he seemed to get a bit grouchy in his later years (as if, after spending all those years trying to open our eyes, he finally realized it wasn't gonna happen and just gave up on us), I will always be a fan of the earlier George Carlin, the one who wanted me to wake up and realize what was going on. I think he had a genuine message for people, and that may be why so many people will say so many good things about him for so long.

While my condolences go out to his family, I prefer to celebrate his existence rather than mourn his death. We were lucky to have had him at all.

"Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when
you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck."