Monday, April 09, 2007, posted by Q6 at 11:19 PM
So I rented "The Pursuit of Happyness" on DVD, a movie that I've very much wanted to see and have dreaded seeing for some time now (since I have the day off from EVERYTHING, I figured, why not go ahead and get it over with). I very much enjoy these true story films, and I've known simply from the preview that it was going to be hard to watch. I didn't come from poverty or anything, but I know what it means for money to be tight (my own personal history involves bankruptcy). Just to see Will Smith (in the preview) spending the night in a public restroom WITH HIS SON rips my heart out, so I could only imagine how hard it would be for a father to watch this film. I tend to sympathize with characters on the screen, so this is a film that is making me genuinely depressed. To make matters worse, the film takes its time getting through the story. I'm an hour into it, and things are still going downhill with no reasonable end in sight (I've had to pause it and walk away twice now--how did people watch this in a theater??). Great performances all around, and I'm sure I'll rave about the film when I get to the end, but this is probably the hardest film I've ever seen.
 
1 Comments:


At 9:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

I'm just sorry you watched it alone.