Friday, March 20, 2009, posted by Q6 at 12:00 PM
My seventeen-year-old son is still looking for his first job.

Because I haven't been following him around constantly in full-blown "Mother Hen" mode, I don't know to what degree he's seriously looking; I know that he IS fillng out and turning in applications, and I know that the home phone has not been ringing as a result. (I also know that he was, at one point, showing up to these places in torn jeans with his skateboard in his hands; I have since warned him off this particular visual.)

Is it possible that in these declining economic times so many people are struggling for employment that all the ex-CEOs out there have taken my son's burger-flipping job? I've purposely stayed out, for the most part, of this job hunt; at one point I printed a few things up I found online, if for no other reason than to encourage him to look in multiple places (I want to be helpful and supportive, on one hand; on the other hand, he won't be able to DO the job himself if he can't FIND the job himself, right?). Everything turns out to be a bust, and the entire household feels his frustration.

(And I think things have changed since I was a teen. Way back in the day, I would call or stop in and check on the status of my application, and they would actually tell me the status; when my son checks on the status of HIS applications, the response is, "I dunno--you want to fill out another one?")

He wants to have a job. He wants to earn money for his own car. He wants a new, slightly higher level of independence. I want him to have all of that. Can you call someone a victim of unemployment if he hasn't yet found his first job?