Monday, November 10, 2008, posted by Q6 at 5:08 AM

Lots of people--including my friends--have already blogged about the outcome of this year's election. I've waited until days later, because I was interested in seeing whether or not he would live up to the hype of the last two years' worth of campaigning.

Fortunately, it looks like he will.

First--and I say this not only as a citizen but as a former public speaking teacher--I loved his victory speech (and I'd like to find out exactly who wrote it). His cadence and his vocal expression bubble over with honesty and sincerity. His message was exactly what this nation needed: we have come this far, we have seen so much . . . what else can we do? His appeal to the conservative side of life was also a great move, and I believe that it, too, was honest. Obama is, for all intents and purposes, the first president of the 21st Century. Moreover, he sounds and acts like it, and I don't think this country has been any more prepared--or hungry--for a leader who will look at everything that's been bent wrong, stuck in the mud, or halted altogether and question the logic behind it all. Barack Obama comes at a time when America needs him the most.

Secondly, he has so far succeeded in his follow through. In his first week as President-Elect he is already talking about the things he can do now, what he can do come January 21st, and how those specific tasks are going to impact us. What this country has needed is someone who pays attention to all the different fronts at once, has a clear idea about what to do on each front, and surrounds himself with people who either think like he does or who can help him to think better. Check out Fareed Zakaria's take on Obama being the next FDR (HERE)--all the pieces are in place, both domestic and foreign. So far, Obama's our guy. (I only wish he'd been elected by a bigger margin. The other thing I think this country has needed for a long time is a landslide victory in a presidential race.)

Finally, I think he's got a decent sense of humor. I've seen him use it a couple of times on the campaign trail, and when he wants to be, he can be funny (in a nerdy, look-how-I-can-take-myself-too-seriously-for-a-laugh kind of way).

Politically speaking, I'm looking forward to the future of this country. I haven't been able to say that for a long time, but I can say it now. A lot of us can say it now.

Yes we can.