Sunday, February 04, 2007, posted by Q6 at 4:40 PM
My name is Q6, and I'm a tech-head.

I used to be one of those people who hated technology. I didn't like the way it damaged interpersonal communication (I still don't, but I no longer think the two are mutually exclusive). I vowed to do only as much as I needed to to get by, and the rest of my life would be off-line. Then I fell to the dark side.

I don't know how it happened; I think it was a combination of need-technology-more-for-work and hey-this-is-broken-I-wonder-if-I-can-fix-it-myself, but I'm more or less hooked now. Here's what I've done in the last, say, two years:
-- Cleaned a major virus off my desktop computer, including a BIOS upgrade
-- Upgraded the OS on same computer
-- The iPod, the iTunes (even learned how to import clips from YouTube)
-- Upgraded to a laptop
-- Installed a wireless router to my cable modem, setting up a house-wide wireless network (secured)
-- Used a specialized adapter to download all my old data from 4 different dismembered hard drives
-- Installed a wireless printer/scanner
-- Learned anough HTML to customize two websites and start FOUR blogs, three of which now have some seriously cool stuff on them (much to the dismay of my girlfriend, who will hate me--sorta--until I have helped her to do the same to her blog)

Let's just say it's now to the point where people stop me and ask for help with their computers, and either I know how to fix it or I know what the problem is (but don't have the access to make the fix). I guess I've learned to embrace that which I once loathed; so much so that I'm learning something new (small things) almost every day.

"One day at a time," right?
 
2 Comments:


At 5:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

Only kinda. But yeah, it's the skills and the time you get to augment them.

 

At 11:44 PM, Blogger Unknown

I've been going in the opposite direction over the past three years: I used to be very technical, but now eschew as much of the administrative/maintenance work as I can. Switched to an Apple computer (pretty much takes care of itself, to be honest), switched to a bog-standard blogspot account (with a barely-tweaked standard template), and people have stopped asking me for help (just as well; I know nothing about Windows XP, since I stopped caring at version 2000). My life is all the better for it. :)