Thursday, February 22, 2007, posted by Q6 at 5:28 PM
My mother never ceases to make me laugh. I only wish that she were trying to a good percentage of the time. She lives in Los Angeles County--where I grew up--and I live in Orange County now. I suppose it's universal that people in one county have a certain perception of others, but now my "there" is "here," and my "here" is her "there." I now have to deal with her perception of my "here" now that my "here" is her "there."

Go ahead. Read it again. I'll wait.

So her question came up at dinner, as she asked about the ethnicities in my surrounding community. I realize that she's older, and grew up in a climate of more pronounced racism (she's not really racist, but my kids--and her kid, for that matter--grew up in a time when you didn't exactly word it that way. "Things." I guess it could have been worse, and I knew what she meant, but being a former English teacher, I know I might have searched for better wording.) Anyway, I just had to chuckle. The line, in or out of context, is classic.